The officers and cadets at West Point US Military Academy came to listen to a talk by former CTO of Central Intelligence Agency, Bob Flores, and Cloud Security Alliance co-chair/Vidder founder, Junaid Islam, about how to avoid catastrophic cyber failures. Such a failure occurs when a cyber attacker is able to exploit a single vulnerability to breach an entire organization’s cyber defenses.
A strategic framework for effective cyber security proposed by Bob (left) and Junaid (center) has the following essential components:
- Establish a comprehensive view of threats and capabilities
- Develop a security strategy that mitigates an organization’s biggest vulnerabilities
- Link security controls to ensure a single failure will not result in a breach
Key takeaways: Continue reading
If you’re currently launching a new venture, can you answer these questions?
- Who are my customers – can I detail the “persona” of my target users?
- What do I uniquely offer them that no one else does?
- How do I best reach them?
If you and your team have trouble answering, don’t despair. This September, we’re offering a practical, hands-on workshop series based on the ground-breaking book Disciplined Entrepreneurship, by Bill Aulet, Managing Director of the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship. As Bill says: “The single necessary and sufficient condition for a business is a paying customer.” Continue reading
I found myself recommending the same books time and again to first-time tech founders, so decided to just put together this list:
(1) The Startup Owner’s Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company – By Steve Blank and Bob Dorf
(2) The Founder’s Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup – By Noam Wasserman
(3) Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers – By Alexander Osterwalder & Yves Pigneur
(Mandelbrot Set signifying the alarming simplicity and yet powerful possibilities of some simple math)
The Blockchain is useful for financial, legal and other applications in general not just for Bitcoin. It is a new enterprise grade technology that disrupts a lot of existing trust and transactional systems.